The week is a Government initiative which aims to help Australians understand cyber security risks and educate home and small business users on the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information.
8 simple tips for better online security
- 1. Install and renew your security software and set it to scan regularly;
- 2. Turn on automatic updates on all your software, including your operating system and other applications;
- 3. Think carefully before you click on links and attachments, particularly in emails and on social networking sites;
- 4. Regularly adjust your privacy setting on social networking sites;
- Report of talk to someone about anything online that makes you uncomfortable or threatened;
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial or personal information about yourself, your friends or family;
- Use strong passwords and change them at least twice a year;
- Talk within your family about good online safety.
Remember your personal details should remain private, never give them out online or over the phone in cold calls.
For more information, visit Stay Smart Online.